Thursday, September 8, 2016

Creative Approaches to Classroom Arrangements


Although its been nearly a decade since I was a classroom teacher, I was never a big fan of the industrial model of classroom arrangements:  the strict rows of students that provided for limited movement; over the top structure that often limited student's creativity and stifled their learning process.  I never really knew why I felt this way, I hadn't taken a class on creative classroom arrangements, nor was their an abundance of research on it at the time, and since this was the late 90s and early 2000s I didn't have Pintrest to offer me any ideas.  Although I used the structured rows in my early years of teaching, I just knew it didn't fit my style of teaching, and by the time I left the classroom I had done away with seating charts, rows, and a structured environment.  By the way, for those that don't know, I taught High School Social Studies in a very diverse community within the Inner Ring of Cleveland.  When I became a school administrator I started encouraging teachers to be creative with their classrooms, and supported that creativity.  
     Fast forward to the present, and their is an abundance of research on the benefits of standing desks, fidget bars, flexible spacing, and non-traditional seating arrangements.  The benefits are both health related, as well as educational.  According to research flexible seating can help students burn energy, increase their metabolism and improve concentration.  One of my hobbies is health and fitness.  I exercise regularly and read much on the topic.  Dating back to my college days, I've endured lower back problems. Last summer, after reading a number of articles on the benefits of standing desks, I decided to try it.  I'm happy to say that since I stopped sitting all day, my lower back has never felt better and I've also noticed improved focus on longer tasks.  In addition, as a parent of a child with Attention Deficit Disorder,  I can attest to the educational value of her being able to stand or move around while working on her homework.

  Over the past few years, teachers at New London Local Schools began experimenting with flexible seating options.  Starting with physioballs, student desks gradually transitioned to tables. This summer Mrs. Yetter, Mrs. Fuller, and Mrs. Albaugh, and others took the next step and brought in work stations.  No more desks, limited assigned seating, or designated space.  Students are now able to work where they feel the most comfortable and can change their work environment as often as necessary.

Our expectation is that students take more of an ownership of their learning, becoming producers of knowledge, instead of consumers of instruction, while adding benefits to their health and wellness.  With these more student centered, exploratory environments, our classrooms are now more like a Silicon Valley Technology Firm than an industrial plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment